Friday 23 May 2008

Poor Bristlenose...

Not looking good for the Bristlenose Catfish following him starting to swell up yesterday. Yesterday his stomach looked like there was an algae pellet or small pebble in it. today he is even more swollen and looks like he's been pumped up with a bicycle pump.

He's spent nearly all of the day unmoving and hiding underneath the bogwood - floating upside down. I went to my local fish shop and she wasn't open - I was there 15 minutes after opening time, so was surprised... Went to the large garden centre down the road with an aquatics department and their expert said it sounded like the fish would be dead within an hour or so...

Well I gave the fish an hour then went back to my favourite shop and she was open, talking to a rep. They both agreed it's likely that the bristnose catfish is constipated, and suggested defrosting some bloodworm and dropping in some cucumber as close to him as possible. So on the way home I bought half a cucumber and dropped it in as near to him as possible, and that was the first time he moved all day - he swam away from the cucumber.

I followed this by dropping half of the block of bloodworm over him - by injecting it into the tank at high speed with a syringe! Must have covered him, then distracted the other fish by squirting more into the front of the tank.

But it wasn't until the evening that I finally saw him move!

No comments: