Thursday 29 May 2008

Finally, a peaceful day...

After the traumas of the last week I'm happy to say that so far it's been a quiet day. One white spot has appeared on the Halfbeak - a day longer to reproduce than normal, but a dose of the medication was going in anyway.

The water is beautifully clear now that I've removed the venturi from the Fluval 2plus - it was making so many tiny bubbles that the water wasn't as clear as I wanted it to be. Now with that just filtering and a separate air supply, the tank water is clear. I've got the air turned right down as the air curtain is too small for the powerful Tetratec APS50, even though that is underpowered for my 90 litre tank! Will pick up a longer air curtain tomorrow to try it out.

Having said that, I've also got an O2 kit and that's reading around 8mg/l with the new air pump. Just before I switched the pumps over it read 5mb/l - gone from bottom of the desired range to top of the range. Any higher and I'd need to add more occupants to use more oxygen!

Speaking of which, I did see the original male shrimp had mounted the original female shrimp - who has now lost her eggs. I'm not sure whether that is the normal breeding behaviour of shrimps, but it certainly looked like that was his intention. Maybe in a few days / weeks she'll me carrying eggs again. Hopefully the reason she lost the eggs earlier this week was just the reduction in oxygen levels and the next batch will go on to produce some babies. Even better if one could survive to adult-hood!

No comments: