Saturday 17 May 2008

Enjoying the tank

I'm really enjoying the tank, and watching everything grow. Even if there are a few traumas, such as watching the possibly sick cory. It's still skulking around the tank, although I think I have seen it eating. But it's hard to know whether I'm watching just one, or if they are taking it in turns to lay low.

But Bristles, the Bristlenose Catfish is growing well. I measured him at 45mm a few weeks ago and today he was stretched out cleaning the glass, and he's now 60mm in length. Not bad for a little fish that arrived 2 months ago and was a tiny 15mm long!

My other concern is the upside down catfish. He was larger when he went into the tank and we never see him. I think I've just seen a flash of fin from within his cave, so he's still alive. But if he's growing well, there's a chance he'll outgrow the cave door. He's not been out (that I've seen) for 10 days and it was a squeeze then to return to the cave. I suppose give it another week and lift up the cave and turn him out! The gap at the bottom should be big enough once the cave is lifted.

The local shop I use did have some catfish caves. Maybe one of them could be used. I suppose point it to the back / side of the tank where the entrance is quiet, but where we can peek into it when we want to.

The shrimp continues to carry her eggs and the new shrimps are finally starting to venture out - both took algae pellets today and hid away with them. So, apart from why aren't the Neons coming up to feed - though even when they had the tank to themselves they hardly fed - I think the tank is quiet & relaxing.

No comments: