Sunday 22 June 2008

The shortest lived residents...

With yesterday's higher than I'd like nitrate readings and the whitespot in the tank, I did a 25% water change this morning.

Sadly, all 3 Cardinals died overnight - the smallest - the one very heavily infected with white spot - had died by the time I went to bed and the other 2 died during the night. No idea, of course, whether it was because of the whitespot, the treatment or being in a small treatment tank. It's highly likely I overdosed the treatment given the small amount of water being treated. In hindsite, I'd have prepared an easier to measure amount in a large volume of water and just used some of that to treat the tank. Trying to guess 2/90 of a ml isn't easy! I should have measured, for example, ½ ml of treatment, made it up to 10ml and just used ½ml of the solution. I think that's roughly the right maths!

Gave the main tank their weekend treat of a block of bloodworm and a couple of them got into the breeding net - funny sight for a while of a Guppy Fry swimming around trying to eat the bloodworm. The bloodworm isn't in the net now - so he either succeeded or gave it up to someone else.

Maintenance - 25% water change; removed nearly all remaining oxygenating weed; ½ml whitespot treatment; heater to 26 celsius.

No comments: