Thursday 19 June 2008

Danios Spawning

It's been a quiet week in the tank - just developing nicely! I was sitting with my wife's uncle watching the tank a few days back and he said he thought a few of the danios were ready to spawn. I tried to catch the fattest one last night to move her into a tank I'd prepared for her, but failed...

But this morning, another Danio, which my daughter calls 'Wavy', was being chased by 2 male Zebra Danios and 2 male Leopard Danios. I was watching them for 2 hours! I think they have just about finished and my oxygenating weeds, which were falling apart and ready to be replaced anyway, are battered by the amount of high speed swimming they have been doing.

I've never seen anything like it from them. All the fish are obviously snacking and I did see some eggs at one point, which were eaten within seconds by 'Blackie', the female guppy.

After a lot of effort I have removed some water, with eggs, so I think I have at least a dozen eggs safely put aside. Next Wednesday I'll remove the same fish into the tank I have ready prepared and see if she'll spawn if I add a couple of males.

The tank should be better settled in by then - the water aging a little... Although I have used tank water and odds and ends of plants to start it off. Plus I've placed some chicken wire across the bottom. It's carefully laid so that there are no sharp edges for the fish to catch, whilst I'm hoping that the mesh it too tight for them to swim through. But it should allow plenty of space for eggs to drop down through and be hidden below.

'Wavy' is looking a lot thinner now - a remarkable difference. Just leaves 'Patcho' and 'Ziggy' still fat. I thought maybe I was missing them spawning and the shrinkage was very little. Obviously not!

No comments: