Sunday 29 June 2008

Quiet day, after the various upsets! The Danio fry is doing well - it must be reaching 2cm, the size of some of the small fish that have been put in, so I'm expecting that we'll be able to release him / her to swim with the older fish later in the week. The last few days have seen a lot of growth there since it's been on it's own.

Likewise the Guppy Fry have also grown well since the Danio was removed to its own breeding net on Thursday. They must be around 8mm - 12mm each. I think at least one has a gravid spot showing and some have been showing black flecks for a few days and one is also possibly showing some yellow behind the black on its tail.

Aside from that, the Danio Fry in the spare tank seem to have died off completely. Next time I collect eggs, I'll have to put them straight into the tank, or at least move them over quicker. I'm guessing that they all died in virtually the same 24 hours because of water quality - too many small fish in the one small volume of water. If it had been lack of oxygen, the fry that were alive when I moved them should have survived as that would have aerated the water. Either that, or there wasn't enough food in the water?

It's a hard learning curve - but I'm sure with experience I'll get there.

No comments: