Thursday 12 June 2008

How do you measure fish fry???


How do you measure your new fry to see if they really are growing??? I've read reports by people where they give detailed measurements as the fry grow each millimeter. No way do my quick guess measurements come up to that standard!

So, today I tried a new trick. A digitial photo of the fish with a scale held at water level. And for most accuracy - I'd just fed the fish to bring them to the surface!

The results - well the Danio (???) comes in at 12 - 13mm long - he / she had their tail bent, so it's still hard to be accurate (large fry, dead centre of the picture). Body width is much easier to measure at 2mm...

The Guppies - well they are all roughly the same, so only measured a couple and they are around 7mm long and just under 2mm wide. They are 10 days old and have increased by almost 50%. Not a bad growth rate, I suppose. Especially as there was no sign of growth for the first few days.

No comments: