Monday 23 June 2008

Nitrate reading down, Danios hatching

The nitrate reading is down more to where I like them to be - although normally after a 25% change I would expect them to be even lower. But they have dropped significantly, so I'm happy. The high nitrate readings could have been caused by many factors - the oxygenating weed dieing & rotting on mass; the filter getting blocked because the shrimps were molting in the bracket etc.

Not convinced the food rotting in the oxygenating weed that was released into the water could have done it, but removing it from the water will have helped stop the problem from getting any worse.

We've been desperately trying to measure the length of the babies - no luck yet! I'm going to have to photograph them again, I think!

I've seen the first sign of hatched Danios today in the bottle of water. I did count 16 eggs in there last week and can now see 3 fry at the bottom of the bottle, each about 4mm long. But they are so little that it's easy to miss them swimming around and as I move the bottle they swim off. Still, 3 wouldn't be a bad start - especially if they do spawn weekly.

Also, I've found 5 or 6 fry swimming around in the tank - hiding behind the breeding net. Not the way I expected it to save their lives, but great! So I syringed them up and also put them into the bottle - I'm sure there are too many hungry mouths in the main tank.

It does show that once a few are spawning a couple of survivors should make it to a good size...

Maintenance - nitrate 10ppm; O2 8mg/l+.

No comments: