Sunday 1 June 2008

Guppy Drop Update....

After quite a few attempts, I finally persuaded Blackie to swim to the front of the tank and then, with the lights long since off in the tank, gently netted her.

If only it could be as easy as it sounds... The male Guppy was also caught and I hadn't prepared a container to put her in. So I left them both in the net and whilst keeping it perfectly still with one hand, managed to move off the tank covers with the other hand and then lower a cleaned out 1 litre ice cream tub into the tank with the other. A bit of twisting and I released the male (I'd left him in to make her more calm) and then slowly raised the net up the tank, whilst still pressed against the glass.

This was the nearest to disturbed Blackie looked in the process - I don't think she felt properly netted in the dark. I was able to twist the net into the ice cream tub and almost fill it with water, so that it floated just below the lights.

With the addition of a few loose strands of plant and an artifical plant to provide plenty of cover, she looks quite calm and relaxed. I've also thrown the switch on the lights so that they don't come on in the morning - I should be well up by then, by it is the last day of the school holidays, so I might just get a late lie in...

I'll check on her first thing and I think if there's no sign of fry then I'll release her (rather than baking her under the lights once they come on) and try to catch her again tomorrow after lights off... I'm assuming / hoping that the fry will be born over night or early morning.

She definitely looked slightly more relaxed in the tub. But I'm too worried that I'll not be able to have the lights on or that the waste levels will get too high or the oxygen levels too low... I'm a worrier about my fish!

No comments: