Wednesday 4 June 2008

The babies continue...

I'm continuing to change small amounts of water for the Guppy fry and feeding them regularly, but at most they have grown 1mm to 6mm - but it's hard to measure any of the fry in the tub. They are only 48 hours old, but I'm impatient! I wasn't sure whether they actually fed for the first 48 hours or not, but with the Danio fry also in the tub, some feeding was required.

I am a little disappointed that the eother Guppy doesn't look heavily pregnant, but reading up on how many fry are usually in a drop, it looks like this wasn't Blackie's first drop - there are still about 30 survivors - and I don't know if she ate any of them.

But I was looking carefully at her today and wondering if she is carrying a small number of fry - reading up last night, a first drop can be 8 - 25 fry. So watching her carefully as her gravid spot is speckled slightly, like Blackie's on Saturday. So I'll watch her behaviour tomorrow and see if her tummy flattens at all.

It's also a shame about the shrimps - the newer female, that was carrying plenty of eggs, has lost most of her eggs. There are still a few there and she's fanning them with her swimmerets, so there is still a chance of babies. Pity, my plan was to watch for when the eggs were hatching on the older shrimp and then to move the younger shrimp into a separate tank, expecting her eggs to hatch the day after the older shrimp's eggs. That plan is out of the window...

No comments: