Thursday 20 March 2008

Yamato Shrimp, Gold Apple Snail

Had to pop home for a few hours to get the heating fixed. The plants are growing well and I checked the readings and as per those since the plants went in, ammonia, nitrates and nitraites are all zero, water is hard and ph 7.0. The bubbles have cleared from the side of the tank and the temperature is showing 21.5c. So I bought a couple of new occupants to try to get the tank cycling.

I was recommended (by the shop) a pair of Gold Apple Snails and also 2 Yamato Shrimps (glass shrimps). Amazingly interesting watching them in the tank at first!

Once I'd gone through the usual introduction process, I tried to gently introduce these to the tank. But the net wasn't quite long enough and the shrimps swam off, but the snail fell out in mid water and slowly drifted to the bottom, bounced and curled up.

After a few minutes the snails recovered, righted themsleves and moved off, mainly to find hiding places. One landed itself on a small plant, which looks like it's already died. The other mounted a 'rock structure'.

The shrimps are mad - buzzing from side to side of the tank and hiding. I tried feeding them 3 flakes of food, but they didn't notice it, so the food dropped to the bottom for later.

Fascinating to watch, really distracted me from the work I was trying to do!

No comments: