Sunday 30 March 2008

A Red Crab

We were a bit further afield today and I popped into an aquarium shop to see what they had in stock. I saw an attractive red crab, eating through what turned out to be sweet potato.

I asked the guy behind the question a few questions - is it suitable for a totally freshwater tank and do they need to be able to leave the water? Yes and no were the answers, so I bought the cute little guy.

It was only when we got him home - away from his meal, that I noticed he only had a single large pincer and not the full complement of 8 legs - a couple are missing! Maybe he'd been attacked by his companions.

But also I looked him up on the internet and at least one person says that red crabs are suitable for totally freshwater tanks and that they need some easy access to land to 'explore'.

Really annoyed with that shop. Not the cost - he was only a couple of pounds - just being sold an animal that I don't have the facilities to care for.

Hopefully he'll molt soon, now he's got less food competition and a cleaner and bigger tank. That's when, with luck, he'll grow back one or more of his missing claws. Until then, the poor guy!

If he can regrow his missing claws then maybe I can give him something to climb up and an "island" at the top of the tank = need to think that now. For now, there are plenty of plants to climb and if he discovers the oxygenating weed, which he's hiding under, that will take him to the surface.

Good luck to our new friend Henry - I hope the molt is not long off - I read they can be every 2 to 6 months.

No comments: